Unfortunately there were no photos taken of the games on the weekend, so we have dipped into the archives and are re-living the 2005 Shute Shield Grand Final against Warringah!

Sydney University scored a converted try after the bell to force a 41-all draw with Warringah in their Round 15 Shute Shield clash at the campus Football Ground on Saturday.

In an epic battle which Warringah led from go to a whisker from whoa, Sydney University five-eighth Stuart Dunbar crossed for a try well into extra time, leaving winger Christian Kagiassis the task of landing an angled conversion to draw the match. His left-footed boomer never looked like missing.

In a match for the ages, the Students trailed 24-3 early in the first half and 35-17 well into the second half, but scored five tries to four to salvage some valuable points and maintain their lead in the Club Championship.

With three competition rounds to be played, Sydney University sit on 2533 points in the Club Championship, with Randwick closing in on 2360.

Saturday’s draw saw Sydney University surrender their lead on the Shute Shield ladder which is now headed by the Wicks on 56, with Southern Districts (56) Sydney University (54), Northern Suburbs (53), Manly (52) and Warringah (48) making up the top six.

It was a fitting finale to a tough round against the Rats, with Sydney University winning the other three grades and the three Colts fixtures by narrow margins.

The Students will be looking for a clean sweep against Eastern Suburbs at Woollahra Oval next Saturday to consolidate their position before rounding out the season proper with games against Western Suburbs at Concord Oval on July 9 and Parramatta at Sydney University Football Ground on July 16.

First Grade (Shute Shield)

First Grade: Sydney University 41 (Paddy Ryan, Folau Fainga’a, Stuart Dunbar, Angus Roberts, Silatolu Latu tries; Christian Kagiassis 5 goals, 2 pen goals) drew with Warringah 41 (Harry Jones 2, Sebastian Wileman, Michael Adams tries; Hamish Angus 3 goals, 5 pen goals) at Sydney University Football Ground.

Our archive of photos against Warringah include some familiar faces. 11 years on, where are they now?

Image 1: Scott Stumbles.

Scott played up until 2012, and then coached at the club in 2013 and 2014, before starting a family. He now works at Lend Lease, but is still regularly seen in the stands!

Image 2: David Haigh.

David hung up the boots in 2011, but returned in a coaching role in 2012. He has now been working at the club ever since in various roles, before taking up the General Manager position this year. 

Image 3: Nigel Staniforth.

Nigel is still playing, but now for the Orange Emus, after moving there a few years ago to run his own Real Estate business. The Orange Emus are defending champions, and only lost their first match of 2016 last weekend in Round 12! 

Image 4: Tom Carter.

A young 22 year old during the 2005 Grand Final, Tom is still playing as 1st Grade Captain, although also taking up the position of High Peformance Manager this year.