2nd Grade (Colin Caird Shield) 
By Ray Hudd (Coach) 

The 2nd Grade forwards got the team off to a good start against Parramatta.

Parramatta put together some good phase play only to be shut down physically by the Uni forwards.

Conor O’Shea led the team well around the park going into the halftime break with Uni up 24-3.

The next period saw the Two Blues capitalise on some of the errors made by Uni.

After making some replacements Uni regained its composure and started to play Rugby with strong performances from Alex Masima and James Kane.

Man of the Match – Jack McCalman 

Sydney Uni 64 def. Parramatta 20

3rd Grade (Henderson Shield) 
By Patrick O’Doherty (Player)

The wash-out from last Saturday allowed the 3rd XV to be treated to a game under lights on St. John’s College Oval on Tuesday night.

Low numbers in the warm up due to boys reserving for other games didn’t dampen the lad’s spirits leading into the game. The vibe was good, Coach Leary was piped up on caffeine after his visit to the roastery, and it would be fair to say Koni Tuitupou knew his head was on the chopping block as he fronted up against his old Club.

With an early try from Saia Tanginoa to start the first half, it looked like it was going to be a long night for the Parra boys, whom the majority had backed up from 4th Grade. However, bad discipline and costly errors allowed the visitors to remain in the game throughout the half. A fabulous chip ‘n’ chase from Parramatta’s no. 5 enabled the visitors to score under the post before half-time. The game was locked up at 7-7 going into the next period.

Stern words at the break from Coach Heslop instilled the classic expression “Earn the right to go wide”, which was followed by a few expletives. And so, the Students did.

Dominant carries from Koni Tuitupou and Ben Stanton reinvigorated the side back to its notorious style of play. From there, outside backs Josh King, Dylan Vieira and Harrison Blake were able to convert the pressure created up the middle into points out wide. A fantastic cameo from George ‘Derla’ Lehmann brought sensational aggression in defence, who was also lucky enough to be on the receiving end of line-break from Nick Coaldrake to score in the corner. A much more attractive 2nd half from the students allowed them to run away with a 31-10 win. 

Kudos to Conor O’Doherty and Tom Willson who backed up from a full game in 4th Grade and then for a full game in 3rd Grade, as well a Jack ‘Bean’ Jones for running (debatable) the waters out for the lads. Three great clubmen.

Sydney Uni 31 def. Parramatta 10

4th Grade (Henderson Cup)
By Josh Schwager (Player)

On a damp St. John’s College Oval 4th Grade burst out of the blocks with a try to recent signing Jack ‘davman’ Davies. The Two Blues soon replied with a converted try of the own. The game opened up with with long range try’s to Hamiora Mihaka and Paddy Muller. Parramatta kept themselves in the game with another converted try, heading into half time at 15-14 to the Students. 

The second half saw a flurry of unconverted tries to Jaason Finau, a second for Man of the Match Jack ‘davman’ Davies and resident Aaron Woods look-a-like Adam Perri. The Two Blues had no reply with George Lehmann running a great support line to go in under the sticks on full-time. This was the only try of the evening to be converted by none other than recent returnee Sam English with a technique envied by all in attendance. 4th Grade now sit 4 points clear at the top of the table looking to build further momentum into the business end of the season. 

Full credit to the boys, it was certainly a game of two halves… like most these days. 

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank James So for his time and efforts conditioning the lower grades of Tuesday and Thursday nights. After a well deserved holiday James will return home to England to complete his studies.

Sydney Uni 37 def. Parramatta 14

1st Colts (W.McMahon Memorial Shield)
By Rob Taylor (Coach)

On a very dewy wet night at No.2 under lights we knew we would have a battle on our hands against a very strong Parramatta forward pack. They got us at scrum time and we had to soak up some big moments when the pressure was right on. Therefore, it was extremely pleasing to have no points scored against us, it is now two weeks in a row we haven’t had a try scored against us. 

Notable performances were by; Ratu Rotasolia made 13 tackles out of 14, plus 8 tackle assists. Strath Yeo out on the wing made 6 from 6 tackles, with most of them being very crucial.   

Player of the match points go to: 

Dan Poletto – 1 point. He was solid in defense, goal kicking was pivotal in creating breathing space, his positional kicking kept Parramatta on the back foot and decision making was very sound for the conditions. 

Milan Basson – 2 points. He had a big game in attack and defence. He made 3 dominant carries, with 1 line-break, 1 tackle bust, 1 try and in defence he made 17 tackles. 

Josh Kemeny – 3 points. He played his first start for 1st Colts and full game after having the last 8 months rehabbing an ACL operation. He had a very impressive defensive game making 3 dominant tackles and 3 tackles that resulted in a turnover, overall making 11 tackles plus 7 tackle assists. His charge down in the 2nd half was a critical moment in  the game, which resulted in a try.  

Sydney Uni 22 def. Parramatta 0

2nd Colts (Shell Trophy)

Sydney Uni 48 def. Parramatta 10

3rd Colts (Bill Simpson Shield) 
By Gabriel Enright (Coach)

With Sydney getting a drenching over the past week the fixture against Parramatta Colts was washed out last weekend and rescheduled to Wednesday where the persistence of wet weather meant that the new Sydney University Football Ground was the only option to play all three grades of Colts. For 3rd Colts it was the first ever outing on the new pitch and the team was eager to stitch up a win and set the tone for the evening – It proved to be a fantastic night for all and demonstrated the potential for Colts fixtures to put a show in the big arena in their own right. Friday Night Colts Footy anyone? Bliss’n’Eso upstairs in the Clubhouse after? 

Parramatta 3rd Colts are a warm bet for the Finals and they had come to play. The young Students started like a house on fire and pounded the Parramatta line through several penalties and Parramatta exits. After 20 minutes the Parra team turned us around and drove 70 metres, through several quality phases of play to score the first try – we hit back with an equaliser to go to the break at 7 a piece in front of a home crowd baying for blood. The pressure was on – Parra were a good team playing very well! 

Without a panic and by sticking to their guns and weathering the storm while waiting for the cracks to appear a great young Rugby team found a way to beat a good young Rugby team having a great night. The second half was enthralling and the Students won it 12 to nil to win the game by 19-7 overall. 

When playing Parra the big lads in the tight need to stand up which is what Ringo Latu did in defense from loosehead to get the 3 points. Angus Chadwick was tenacious and scored the match winner for 2 points while Sean O’Byrne re-entered the fold after a gruelling exam and assignment period to pinch a glut of line-out and breakdown ball at 7 for the 1 point.

Sydney Uni 19 def. Parramatta 7