Sydney University vs Randwick


After a disappointing trip to Manly the week before the Students were looking to improve on their performance as they took on old rivals Randwick at Coogee Oval. With both team making the most of a Waratahs bye and the release of Super Rugby players back to the Shute Shield, the crowd were certainly in for Easter treat in a match that went down to the wire.   

Despite an early yellow card and a Randwick penalty kick the Students were first off the mark through an exceptional set piece which gave Matt Hood space to dance around the Wicks defence and cross the chalk on his starting 1st Grade debut.  

The green machine hit back with a series of nice passes to put their scrumhalf over the line for 5 points. The score after 25 minutes was 8-10 and the crowd knew they were in for a great contest.  

The pressure was building close to the Randwick line on the half hour, after a string of collapsed scrums Uni’s dominant pack eventually reaped the rewards as referee Amy Perrett ran under the posts to award them a penalty try.  

With spirits high Uni ran into the shed with a 9 point lead. It wasn’t enough though as the Wick’s hit back in the second half with two tries in quick succession to take the lead for the first time in the match as they capitalised on a couple of lapses in concentration.

The Students had plenty of chances to win the game but the Wicks never say die attitude was too much to contend with. The final quarter saw the lead change hands five times in a game of end to end action.

With the help of his fellow forwards, prop Wayne Borsak bundled over the line for his first try in the blue and gold hoops. Unfortunately the celebrations were short lived as Randwick countered with their own try to grab their bonus point and claim back the lead.

Poor discipline from both sides in the final minutes allowed the goal kickers to swap successful penalties.

In the dying seconds of the match Uni were back in the Randwick half, closing in on the line but with 80 minutes on the clock time had run out, the Galloping Greens managed to steal the ball and kick it away to cling on to their 1 point lead and secure the win. Final score 28-27.