Sydney University


Western Sydney Two Blues

By Bruce ‘China’ Lin

22 June 2024

University’s penchant for Ground Hog day defeats continued last Saturday at University with another narrow loss to the Western Sydney Two Blues by 30-25.

The weather conditions were again diabolical wet and miserable where free flowing  attacking rugby was scarce.

The burly men of the west took advantage of the conditions by caning ill discipline by the Students. Three penalties were quickly scored securing  nine points until University struck back with a try by halfback Henry Robertson after sustained rucking near the Western Sydney goal line.9-5 had the Two Blues leading.

University’s stentorian * moment arrived after twenty eight minutes with a rolling maul try to debutant hooker Hugh Bell. University were ahead 12-9 but let the Two Blues off the hook with some penalties allowing them to set a five metre lineout from University’s line. The Two Blues pack rumbled towards the Students line and burrowed over for a relatively easy converted try to lead 16-12 at the halftime break.

The frustration was etched on everybody players and supporters alike. The club is blessed with an interesting cohort of loyal supporters. Amongst these is distinguished pathologist, alumni of Wesley College and amateur brisket smoking chef Dr Alar Enno who might very well be conducting research into the effects of acid reflux this year amongst supporters.

The second half saw University whittle the deficit to one point 16-15 with a James Kane penalty. But allowing the Two Blues field position again gave them the opportunity to score a rolling maul try increasing their lead to 23-15. The misery was exacerbated when the half back Seu Seu from the scrum base saw a gap and took off to score a diving try for a 30-15 lead.

Things were looking more grimmer than being the personal chef of Dear Leader Kim Jong-un. But to the Students’ credit a rolling maul try was executed and then the great helmsman outside centre Henry Clunies-Ross decided to stretch out. The ball was worked through the hands by the blue and gold fifteen. Excellent backing up was undertaken by a handful of backs and forwards. The Two Blues were back pedalling but stopped University short of their line. Robertson at the ruck shot the ball to the blind side and Clunies-Ross decided to apply his version of a waterslide into the corner. The try could not be converted and University were now trailing 30-25 with ninety seconds left on the clock.

But the Two Blues later secured possession and proceeded to wind down the clock for them to finish victors once again against the Students. Again time ran out for the Students.

Next week the second half of the season kicks off at Rat Park against competition leaders Warringah. A  huge challenge for University but one we are not unfamiliar to undertake.

*Stentorian – extremely loud voice