It was the case of the master and the apprentices on show as University’s veteran and emerging players contributed to a strong 48-13 victory over Northern Suburbs last Saturday at University Oval.

Club stalwart Tom Carter commenced the scoring spree by following through a charge down in the third minute for a try in the grandstand corner. From then on University focused on quick recycling and spreading the ball at every opportunity through the team.

The next try is a name to imprint in our memories for the rest of the season. Henry Clunies-Ross continued where he left off from last week. University were attacking inside their half and quick hands saw young Clunies-Ross receive the ball on the left wing. With only a small corridor to work with 50 metres out from the North’s line, the winger skirted around and through the Norths defenders to score untouched in the grandstand corner.

Young Henry is blessed with pure speed of a kind that after scoring, he would still be able to race up to the grandstand to share a drink with Liz and Norrie Cannon and chat with the Hickey family and Michael Hodge’s aunt Margo before the conversion was kicked!

University were building their rhythm as the half continued. Captain Tom Boidon continued his good form with another bullocking try during a phase five metres from the North’s line. Clunies- Ross scored another runaway try for the first half to end with the Students leading 20-6.

Running with the wind in the second half, University gave head coach Nobby Malone the ideal start after 8 minutes when right winger James Dargaville scored. The lead up was something to appreciate as again the ball was quickly passed to the dangerous Clunies- Ross. Clunies-Ross was baffling the defenders with an in and away and then unselfishly offloaded to the supporting James Dargaville who scorched downfield for a try.

University were pounding Norths hard who had no answer to the Students high tempo game plan. Further tries were scored by fullback Stuart Dunbar and Jake Gordon who exploited big gaps in the North’s defence.

The final try for University was reserved for that old fox Tom Carter with a try which astounded the crowd. Carter received the ball about 40 metres out from the North’s line and took the option to just run hard. With a Moses like persona, Carter parted the sea of red jerseyed North’s defenders. In an incredible dash to the line where Carter’s iconic crimson boots were pumping madly bursting through tackles, this penultimate try was laced with pure determination.

Finally on the full time whistle North’s scored their only converted try in the corner for the final score of 48-13.