The healthy crowd at Coogee Oval last Saturday saw Randwick defeat Sydney University 20-15. Both sides posted two tries each. But for University they were desperately unlucky at the end with a disallowed try.

The majority of the first half was an even encounter. Randwick was ahead 6-0 courtesy of their accurate goal kicking winger.  University’s young crew which included a number of colts being groomed were showing glimpses of attacking flair but patience and concentration at times wavered .

The pendulum swung fully to Randwick on the stroke of half time when their winger scored a converted try in the grandstand corner for a 13-0 lead.

The 10 minute break was needed to put that mongrel streak back into University’s armour.

The commencement of the second half was hardly receiving a Queens birthday honour as Randwick drew first points in unusual circumstances. Following the formation of a University lineout a tapped ball was passed from the lineout to the open. Figg the Randwick breakaway positioned himself on the University side of the lineout.  Figg caught the passed ball and trotted downfield for the easiest of tries.   The crowd were perplexed if this was a legitimate try? However the try was awarded and Figg created a legal precedent in the Shute Shield by resurrecting Section 178BA of the Crimes Act 40/1900 – Obtaining the Benefit by Deception!  

University’s plight had that look more dour than the late Sir Christopher Lee’s horror movie face. But  the Students did not throw in the towel.  Just under half an hour remained in the game for University to  show their character.

A five metre lineout was the cue for the Students first try. Forming on the eastern touchline the ensuing maul saw a surge of University bodies pile in for a try to returning Waratah Pat MCutheon.

The conversion and a penalty saw Randwick still leading 20-10 with about 15 minutes remaining. At this stage of the game it appeared University was gaining the momentum with some long surges downfield.  University were applying a full blown attack across all corners of the ground as they could sense a tiring Randwick.  The try by half back Jake Gordon in the eastern corner set the scene   for a pulsating finish.  Randwick was hanging in by a sliver of subcutaneous fat over a fast finishing University.

Less than 3 minutes remained in the game and University just had to gain field position to achieve the result.  A series of ferocious rolling mauls were made by University. In one smashing surge the ball appeared to be planted over the line by University. A pallet of human flesh was on top of the ball causing the referee Mr Smith to consult his assistant referee.  The try was deemed held up.  Exasperation was heard amongst the University brethren. Randwick uttered a sigh of relief and held their line for victory.

Next week University are set for another hard game against Eastern Suburbs at Woollahra Oval.