A despicable cold drizzly winter night was the setting for University’s frustrating 17-10 loss to Gordon at Chatswood Oval last Friday night.

Uncharacteristic mistakes by an off key University was capitalised by Gordon. The Students were missing their signature disciplined play this evening.

The game actually started on the plus side for University as they scored the first try. Making his first grade debut, right winger colt Christian Yassin streaked down the right wing and later coolly passed back inside to his support five eighth Angus Roberts for a nice try.

The vibrant Vivid light festival across the road in the Chatswood business district was on show. But the game was far from colourful and felt more like a wisdom tooth extraction – a bit painful . University were trying hard but nothing seemed to gel. Gordon held their line and even scored a responding try in the corner by one of their big props for a 5 apiece scoreline.

The Students were spreading the ball to splinter Gordon. But the efforts proved a barren exercise. Gordon capitalised on a University lapse in concentration to slide through a gap to post that important try before halftime. The half time score was 12-5. Patience and discipline was required from the Students in the second half as there would be no respite from Gordon’s mission. The Students were clearly not their usual self. Was it due to the cold misty rain a suspect pork and prawn dumpling from the nearby Mandarin Centre? Whatever the reason the Students had 40 minutes to redeem themselves.

The second half continued University’s lack of continuity. When a clearing kick was charged down and scored by Gordon, University were now pushed to repeat the previous weeks get out of Long Bay jail act. There was 20 minutes left on the clock plenty of time for University to score points. However, the desperate Gordon defence thwarted University’s attack.

With 3 minutes left University finally scored their second try through a bumping run close to the Gordon line by hooker Tom Coolican. University were attempting to do the Houdini act from the kickoff. Gordon was able to secure the ball and ran down the clock. But a series of penalties allowed University back inside the Gordon five metre area. University were loading their backline to smash through the Gordon line for a gripping finale. But as the ball was channelled to the right a dropped ball was secured by Gordon to end the game.

A disappointing loss and one which will be felt by the team. Hard games lay ahead starting next week against old nemesis Randwick at Coogee.