Dean Mumm thought he’d spend the weekend pinching himself after Michael Cheika asked him to be the newest Wallabies captain.

Instead, the recalled lock was answering his phone at 3.40am, in a car 10 minutes later and was in London two hours later to become a new dad.

Mumm’s whirlwind 48 hours will continue when he leads the Wallabies on to the field against Uruguay in Birmingham on Sunday.

The shock of being given the captaincy just four months after making an Australian rugby comeback was enough to get his head spinning.

But the arrival of his son and becoming a new dad has turned a World Cup high into a couple of days made of dreams.

Mumm’s wife Sarah gave birth to their son at Chelsea Westminster hospital on Friday morning, just hours after Cheika told him he would be leading the Wallabies.

“Yeah, I’m a bit weary … I got there smack bang in time, just in time for the delivery and to see him born,” a beaming Mumm said.

“[Sarah] rang me at 3.40am saying her waters had broken and it’s on. That was the first indication I had we were going early.

“It was all a bit of a haze, but it turned into a bit of a frantic panic. But we got there in time and she was happy I’d got there in time to see the birth.”

Mumm exercised a get-out clause in his contract at Exeter to return to Australian rugby in the hope of reviving his World Cup dream.

But returning to the NSW Waratahs meant he went 17 weeks without seeing Sarah, who stayed in London for work while she was pregnant.

All of the sacrifice and hard work paid off when he was named Wallabies captain for the clash against Uruguay.

Coach Michael Cheika tapped Mumm on the shoulder at training on to ask him to step up as a leader.

“He said: ‘are you interested in being captain of Australia?’ I said, ‘mate, absolutely’. You have to pinch yourself a little bit, just with people who have done the job before.

“It’s an incredible honour and one I am very proud to be given.”

Mumm’s two days of madness wasn’t over after the birth of his son.

He had to pack his bag again and race back to Bath for a final training session and catch the team bus to Birmingham for the game.

“It is all a bit of a blue. I rushed to the captain’s run … I haven’t had time to reflect on it. But that’s probably a good way to get through, just keep going.

“It is a huge game for us and it’s an early game as well, so we have to get our heads around it.”

“I guess it is the culmination of many things but I am extremely happy to be where I am.”

For link to article please click here.